Jose Mourinho insists Tottenham will “no longer give up any competition” after dull objectives from Harry Winks and Tanguy Ndombele ensured Spurs overcame a panic in opposition to a animated Wycombe side to reach the FA Cup fifth spherical.
Wycombe, bottom of the Championship, had stupefied their Premier League opponents when Fred Onyedinma slotted in the opener midway thru the first half.
But Gareth Bale marked a rare birth with the equaliser factual ahead of half-time, hooking in Lucas Moura’s inappropriate.
Tottenham upped the tension in the second half, however Wycombe repelled a host of attacks as they looked spot to steal the sport to time past law.
On the opposite hand, with Mourinho having despatched on key gamers Harry Kane, Son Heung-min and Ndombele, the away side’s quality in the end suggested as Winks curled dwelling to present Spurs the lead with four minutes to switch.
Ndombele ensured there would be no dull drama when he executed from shut vary after which stabbed dwelling a fourth in damage time to spot Tottenham up with a fifth-spherical tie at Everton.
Spurs bear already reached the final of the Carabao Cup and are additionally in the knockout stage of the Europa League.
They additionally host Liverpool in the Premier League on Thursday and Mourinho mentioned no longer picking to leisure Kane, Son and Ndombele for that fixture highlighted his decision to score in every competition they play in.
He suggested BBC Radio 5 Are living: “Even when we needed to play four fits in one week and of us idea we had been going to present away Europa League or Carabao Cup we did no longer. We fought. This day we introduced your total squad – fully Hugo Lloris stayed at dwelling. We are going to strive in opposition to.
“We desire to build going. February we now wish to play three competitions as a result of FA Cup after which comes Europa League. In point of fact it’ll be very exhausting however we now wish to envision out.”
- Who is playing who in the FA Cup fifth spherical?
- How has Ndombele gone from Spurs outcast to key player?
Ndombele continues Spurs revival
There bear been times final season when Ndombele looked as if it’d be heading for the Tottenham exit as he struggled to kind an impact following his switch to Spurs for a club anecdote £53.8m in the summertime of 2019.
On the opposite hand, he’s proving to be one in every of Spurs’ simplest gamers this season – arguably moreover-known as Kane and Son – and he any other time showed his quality alongside with his dull cameo.
His first arrangement allowed Tottenham to breathe straightforward however his second used to be one in every of real quality, complex the Wycombe defence with ideal footwork ahead of firing in at the advance put up.
It used to be yet yet any other part of creative play from the France midfielder, who scored a vivid crooked attain in opposition to Sheffield United on 17 January.
Ndombele has now scored four objectives in his past six appearances for Spurs, having hit four in his 48 video games ahead of that, underlining his impressive revival at the club.
“He is terribly creative,” added Mourinho. “He is quite quite a bit of gamers that would possibly fracture the balance.
“They tried to accept him man in opposition to man however he can fracture that – plus on top of that he can ranking a arrangement for us.”
‘I am flattered they needed to position some enormous names on’
Wycombe boss Gareth Ainsworth on BT Sport: “The scoreline is probably going to be no longer a mirrored image of the sport though they had been incredible at the head – I am flattered they needed to position some enormous names on to accept in front.
“We looked drained. We bear given everything and there is not the type of thing as a disgrace from our boys, in actual fact proud – we can steal a host of coronary heart from this.
“We tear again, it be no longer going to be the FA Cup however I am toddle to build in the Championship.”
Spurs’ cup anecdote continues – the stats
- Tottenham bear advanced from 21 of their past 22 FA Cup ties in opposition to aspects from a decrease division.
- Wycombe bear lost 15 of their 26 video games in all competitions this season, three higher than they did in 43 fits final season.
- There bear been factual 72 seconds between Harry Winks giving Tottenham the lead and Tanguy Ndombele making it 3-1.
- Fred Onyedinma has scored in abet-to-abet appearances for Wycombe in all competitions (both in the FA Cup), having scored in none of his first 24 video games this season.
- Gareth Bale has been alive to with 9 objectives in his past six starts in the FA Cup for Tottenham (four objectives, five assists), alongside with his equalising arrangement tonight his first in the competition in 2,942 days since netting vs Coventry in January 2013.
- Harry Winks has scored two objectives in his past 9 video games for Tottenham in all competitions, as many as he had in his first 151 appearances for the club.
- Lucas Moura has been alive to with 10 objectives in 12 FA Cup starts (four objectives, six assists), higher than any varied Spurs player since his debut for the club in the competition in February 2018.
- Tanguy Ndombele become the first change to ranking twice in a match for Tottenham since Roman Pavlyuchenko in opposition to Birmingham in Would possibly maybe 2011.
- 3JacobsonSubstituted forCharlesat 34′minutes
- 10BloomfieldSubstituted forMcClearyat 61′minutes
- 15MuskweSubstituted forKashketat 73′minutes
- 9IkpeazuSubstituted forAkinfenwaat 72′minutes
- 25TangangaSubstituted forHøjbjergat 45′minutes
- 6D Sánchez
- 33DaviesSubstituted forRodonat 90′minutes
- 11LamelaSubstituted forNdombeleat 68′minutes
- 27Lucas MouraSubstituted forSon Heung-Minat 68′minutes
- 45Alves MoraisSubstituted forKaneat 58′minutes
- 7Son Heung-Min
Are living Text
Match ends, Wycombe Wanderers 1, Tottenham Hotspur 4.
2nd Half of ends, Wycombe Wanderers 1, Tottenham Hotspur 4.
Davinson Sánchez (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Imperfect by Adebayo Akinfenwa (Wycombe Wanderers).
Aim! Wycombe Wanderers 1, Tottenham Hotspur 4. Tanguy Ndombele (Tottenham Hotspur) appropriate kind footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Pierre-Emile Højbjerg.
Nook, Tottenham Hotspur. Conceded by Josh Knight.
Strive neglected. Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from the suitable kind side of the box is shut, however misses the head left corner following a corner.
Nook, Tottenham Hotspur. Conceded by Jason McCarthy.
Strive saved. Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from a complex angle on the suitable kind is saved in the centre of the arrangement. Assisted by Son Heung-Min.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Joe Rodon replaces Ben Davies as a result of of an damage.
Offside, Wycombe Wanderers. Darius Charles tries a thru ball, however Adebayo Akinfenwa is caught offside.
Aim! Wycombe Wanderers 1, Tottenham Hotspur 3. Tanguy Ndombele (Tottenham Hotspur) appropriate kind footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom appropriate kind corner. Assisted by Son Heung-Min following a hastily fracture.
Aim! Wycombe Wanderers 1, Tottenham Hotspur 2. Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from outdoors the box to the bottom left corner.
Strive saved. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) appropriate kind footed shot from a complex angle on the suitable kind is saved in the centre of the arrangement. Assisted by Tanguy Ndombele.
Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Imperfect by Fred Onyedinma (Wycombe Wanderers).
Strive neglected. Tanguy Ndombele (Tottenham Hotspur) appropriate kind footed shot from the centre of the box misses to the suitable kind.
Offside, Wycombe Wanderers. Adebayo Akinfenwa tries a thru ball, however Scott Kashket is caught offside.
Strive neglected. Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur) appropriate kind footed shot from the centre of the box is excessive and huge to the left. Assisted by Moussa Sissoko.
Strive neglected. Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur) appropriate kind footed shot from outdoors the box is excessive and huge to the suitable kind. Assisted by Gareth Bale following a corner.
- Your entire objectives, highlights and drama from Sunday’s fourth-spherical ties are streaming now on BBC iPlayer