Leeds United made a dramatic return to the Premier League after a 16-year absence as they produced a dazzling conceal supreme to lose to a boring penalty in a thriller in opposition to champions Liverpool at Anfield.
Liverpool, lend a hand in motion after a success their first title in 30 years, led three cases however had been pegged lend a hand on each occasion by Marcelo Bielsa’s heroic aspect sooner than this unbelievable match was as soon as settled by hat-trick hero Mohamed Salah’s region-kick.
Leeds perceived to be leaving Anfield with a fully deserved level supreme for new £30m striker Rodrigo, on as an substitute, to create a daunting pronounce on Fabinho within the 88th minute, leaving Salah to present Liverpool victory after a serious dismay.
Salah made it a nightmare launch for closing season’s Championship winners when he drilled home a penalty within the fourth minute after his shot was as soon as handled by one other Leeds fresh boy, Germany defender Robin Koch.
Leeds produced the superb response as Jack Harrison drilled a low ethical-foot shot past Alisson supreme for sorrowful defending to allow Virgil van Dijk to restore Liverpool’s lend a hand as he headed in Andy Robertson’s corner.
Van Dijk was as soon as badly at fault when he proficient Patrick Bamford Leeds’ second sooner than a searing strike from Salah carried out the scoring in a chaotic first half.
In a sport which also contained four disallowed dreams, Leeds weren’t to be pushed aside and had been level again after 66 minutes when a supreme first contact and volley from Mateusz Klich flashed past Alisson.
Man of the match Salah had the final notice, on the opposite hand, after that reckless boring pronounce from Rodrigo.
- The come you rated the players
- Response from Anfield as Liverpool beat Leeds
- ‘Leeds make magnificently chaotic return’
Leeds so sad to lose
The presence of supervisor Bielsa on my own will add to the theatre of the Premier League and his titillating, attacking Leeds United aspect already promise to brighten the head flight.
Leeds will maintain feared the worst when Liverpool capped a rampant opening spell by scoring from the region even sooner than the company had secured possession within the opposition half.
No longer rather of it.
Leeds bought on the ball, had been bursting with vitality and attacked Liverpool each time they had the probability, fiddling with self assurance and self-perception.
Three cases they went on the lend a hand of however no longer for one second did their heads plunge or was as soon as their distinct intent diminished, as proved by the scheme in which they fought their come lend a hand into the game.
The final peril was as soon as merciless however self-inflicted, Rodrigo’s ludicrous pronounce on Fabinho drawing the inevitable penalty that price Leeds a level.
There was as soon as so essential to admire about Leeds in an attacking sense however there could be also an air of naivety which they maintain to take care of otherwise hundreds of teams will love scoring dreams in opposition to them.
Leeds conceded two penalties and from two region-objects, though Salah scored a rather interesting volley when they did now not certain a free-kick.
Bielsa and Leeds maintain created a hugely distinct affect from what was as soon as arguably the hardest test of all, away to the champions on the hole day.
In the live, on the opposite hand, they had supreme Rodrigo accountable for giving Liverpool the probability to gratefully snatch victory.
Reds continue to exist proper dismay
Liverpool bought the job performed courtesy of Salah’s boring penalty however this was as soon as an uncharacteristically sloppy conceal from the champions that relied on that Rodrigo pronounce to salvage three aspects.
Salah was as soon as in imperious temper up front however in other locations Leeds had been in a position to bustle Liverpool out of their chase and flee thru their midfield in a trend which would maintain skittish supervisor Jurgen Klopp.
Liverpool had been also every so recurrently shambolic on the lend a hand, lower commence a ways too effortlessly with even the assuredly unflustered Van Dijk knocked out of his chase, committing an bad error for Leeds’ second aim, whereas Trent Alexander-Arnold had a sport he’ll desire to fail to recollect.
Alexander-Arnold was as soon as rescued by the offside flag when he bizarrely headed Harrison’s lob into his have gain and he’ll lead Liverpool’s relief at getting three aspects.
In attack, though, Liverpool maintain players such as Salah who can rescue them from any dangerous topic and so it proved again here.
Man of the match – Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
Up and down for Van Dijk – the final stats
- Liverpool extended their unbeaten home league flee to 60 games (W49 D11) – supreme the third flee of 60-plus unbeaten home games by a aspect within the English high flight, after Chelsea’s flee of 86 ending in October 2008 and Liverpool’s flee of 63 ending in December 1980.
- This was as soon as supreme the second Premier League sport conducted on the hole matchday of a season to see five dreams scored sooner than half-time, after Manchester United 5-1 Fulham in August 2006 (4-1 at half-time).
- Liverpool maintain conceded three or more dreams in lend a hand-to-lend a hand home league games for the principle time since September 1982.
- Liverpool maintain now received the past 35 Premier League games in which Mohamed Salah has scored – he has now overtaken Wayne Rooney’s opponents document of 34 consecutive wins when scoring from September 2008 to February 2011.
- Virgil van Dijk scored his 10th Premier League aim for Liverpool – more than any other centre-lend a hand within the opponents since his membership debut in January 2018. His past nine such dreams maintain been headed.
- Van Dijk has made two errors leading straight to a aim in his past four Premier League games, more than he registered in his first 154 appearances.
- Jack Harrison, Patrick Bamford and Mateusz Klich had been the principle players to rating on their Premier League debut for Leeds United since Gash Barmby in August 2002 in opposition to Manchester City, and the principle to make so in an away sport since Alan Smith in November 1998 – which was as soon as also at Anfield in opposition to Liverpool.
Liverpool maintain a elephantine week to rearrange for his or her next sport at Chelsea within the Premier League on Sunday, 20 September (16: 30 BST), whereas Leeds are in Carabao Cup second-round motion at home to Hull on Wednesday (19: 45).
- 66Alexander-ArnoldSubstituted forMatipat 89′minutes
- 4van Dijk
- 8KeitaSubstituted forFabinhoat 59′minutes
- 14HendersonSubstituted forJonesat 66′minutes
- 9FirminoBooked at 76minutes
- 17Hélder Costa
- 19HernándezSubstituted forRobertsat 62′minutes
- 43KlichSubstituted forShackletonat 81′minutes
- 9BamfordSubstituted forRodrigoat 62′minutes
Match ends, Liverpool 4, Leeds United 3.
2d Half of ends, Liverpool 4, Leeds United 3.
Rodrigo Moreno (Leeds United) wins a free kick on the left cruise.
Glum by Joel Matip (Liverpool).
Strive blocked. Robin Koch (Leeds United) header from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Kalvin Phillips with a substandard.
Substitution, Liverpool. Joel Matip replaces Trent Alexander-Arnold.
Plan! Liverpool 4, Leeds United 3. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) converts the penalty with a left footed shot to the bottom left corner.
Penalty conceded by Rodrigo Moreno (Leeds United) after a bad within the penalty space.
Penalty Liverpool. Fabinho draws a bad within the penalty space.
Nook, Liverpool. Conceded by Jamie Shackleton.
Strive blocked. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) ethical footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Sadio Mané.
Nook, Liverpool. Conceded by Robin Koch.
Strive blocked. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) left footed shot from outdoor the box is blocked.
Substitution, Leeds United. Jamie Shackleton replaces Mateusz Klich.
Strive blocked. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) left footed shot from outdoor the box is blocked. Assisted by Curtis Jones.
Robin Koch (Leeds United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Glum by Curtis Jones (Liverpool).
Nook, Liverpool. Conceded by Mateusz Klich.
Strive blocked. Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool) ethical footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Mohamed Salah.
Strive overlooked. Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United) ethical footed shot from outdoor the box is shut, however misses to the left from an instantaneous free kick.
- Nightlife and coronavirus: How will clubbing continue to exist?
- Jamie Oliver: Nine attention-grabbing facts in regards to the notorious chef