Gareth Bale and Harry Kane both scored twice to inspire Tottenham to a third consecutive Premier League get at the expense of Crystal Palace.
On-mortgage Valid Madrid forward Bale had Kane to thank for both of his targets, opening the scoring with a faucet-in from Kane’s depraved and heading in an best 2d from one other support from the England forward.
In between, Christian Benteke had drawn Palace stage with their first effort heading within the correct direction with a animated header from Luka Milivojevic’s depraved.
Nonetheless, whereas the returning Wilfried Zaha hit the post for Roy Hodgson’s facet after being equipped instead they were unable to tackle the firepower at the hosts’ disposal.
Kane, who had performed the role of supplier, opened his narrative for the evening with a curling 20-yard effort into the head left nook and then dispatched Son Heung-min’s slash again-support to register his 24th contrivance of the promoting campaign in all competitions.
The contrivance rounded off a animated Spurs demonstrate and brought up a notable landmark, with Kane and Son now having mixed for extra targets in a single season than any different duo in Premier League history.
The result lifts Tottenham up to sixth within the desk and in converse that they’re now merely two parts off a high-four plot, with Palace supreme in 13th.
- Practice Tottenham v Crystal Palace plus reaction from the Manchester derby
- Lawro’s paunchy predictions v singer-songwriter Ben Howard
Impressive Tottenham on the march?
Tottenham had topped the Premier League desk when these sides met within the reverse fixture on 13 December.
Nonetheless whereas they faltered with seven defeats in a 12-sport spell both facet of Christmas, the kind of this performance might per chance maybe well have delivered a stark warning to their competitors for the European locations that they give the affect of being to have rediscovered a a success formula.
Mighty of that will maybe well also furthermore be attributed to the attacking players that Jose Mourinho is able to call upon. And Lucas Moura, Son, Kane and Bale were all influential over the path of this victory.
Whereas Moura will not be going to take the headlines, the one dwelling player to camouflage extra ground than the Brazilian used to be paunchy-support Matt Doherty.
It used to be Moura’s persistence and vitality that caught out Milivojevic, allowing Kane to tee up an effortless opener for Bale.
The Welshman, who now has six targets in his final six appearances for Spurs looks rejuvenated and used to be best until his withdrawal within the 70th minute.
The 31-year-outdated might per chance maybe well even be drawing come the twilight years of his occupation but he again exhibited his enduring quality – with pleasing switches of play and reveals of athleticism, most seriously when he towered above Cheikhou Kouyate to score his 2d contrivance of the game.
Within the meantime, Kane’s selfless demonstrate and exhibition of clinical finishing ensured he was the first Spurs player to whisper two or extra targets and assists within the an identical Premier League sport for the club since Jurgen Klinsmann against Wimbledon in Would possibly per chance per chance 1998.
Having frustrated Tottenham with their regimented contrivance early on, Hodgson would had been angered by the kind throughout which his facet fell within the support of.
It did not arrive from a 2d of magic from Kane, Son or Bale.
Nor did it attain from in particular incisive play to gash birth the 2 banks of four visiting players patrolling the residence in entrance of goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.
As a replacement, it came from their have in downhearted health-judged are trying and play out from the support, with captain Milivojevic shedding possession to Moura and Kane and Bale doing the relief.
Nonetheless, whereas the Eagles boss regarded happy by their response, and Milivojevic atoning for his error, they were unable to muster a single effort heading within the correct direction after equalising.
Whereas Jean-Philippe Mateta and Jeffrey Schlupp were both equipped to inject tempo and threat alongside Zaha, it proved a posh evening on which to designate an influence.
Palace’s passing within the supreme third of the pitch used to be lacking precision on too many events, and it ensured an pause to a three-sport unbeaten bustle which has left them in a stable attach to retain their Premier League fame.
‘We are in a decided 2d’ – what they talked about
Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho to BBC Sport: “They were lawful targets. Harry Kane’s first one used to be pretty. We performed lawful football.
“It looks silly to inform but I’m blissful with the contrivance we conceded. My feeling within the 10 minutes of the first half used to be that if we completed 1-0 then per chance we would birth the 2d half the an identical contrivance.
“We lost a shrimp bit bit of the hunger and desire to assault. We were too passive, we were on high of issues. We made one mistake and conceded a contrivance. So I had a decided feeling after we conceded.
“Within the 2d half we had to lunge with every thing. Then it used to be the feeling that a one-contrivance incompatibility will not be ample, and then we made it 2-1 and went for 3-1 straight after.
“I was blissful with the viewpoint, the feeling and mischievous smile of scoring 100 targets within the season and we are a defensive crew. It used to be a lawful week for us – three fits, nine parts, no accidents and everyone looks to be coming support. We are in a decided 2d.”
Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson talking to BBC Sport: “I’m not lawful at taking positives from a sport when I undoubtedly have viewed the crew lose by four targets to 1. I believed we were intently punished by the quality of the targets and one of the most well-known quality of play within the supreme third.
“I mediate on one other day we might per chance maybe well also not had been punished reasonably as harshly. And likewise with one of the most well-known play within the 2d half we might per chance maybe well also have added to the contrivance we scored, which used to be a lawful contrivance.
“I believed we came upon a Tottenham crew tonight that is in animated assemble. They had all their superstar players and their undoubtedly lawful quality players firing on all cylinders. This means that they overwhelmed us at events and won the game due to the it.”
Tottenham’s dwelling fortress
- Most productive league leaders Manchester City (35) have earned extra parts at dwelling on this season’s Premier League than Tottenham Hotspur (24).
- Tottenham’s fourth contrivance used to be their 100th in all competitions this season, changing into the 2d club in Europe’s sizable-5 leagues to attach that tally in 2020-21, after Bayern Munich (106).
- Crystal Palace supervisor Roy Hodgson has did not elevate all six of his Premier League conferences with Spurs’ Jose Mourinho (D3 L3), the joint-most he is confronted a explicit supervisor within the competitors without yet a success (stage with Jurgen Klopp).
- Crystal Palace’s contrivance used to be from their very first shot of the match, and their only shot heading within the correct direction.
- Tottenham’s Gareth Bale has scored in each and every of his final three dwelling appearances in all competitions, the first time he has completed so since September 2018 for Valid Madrid (four in a row), and first time for Spurs since Would possibly per chance per chance 2013.
- Harry Kane has been straight fascinated by 40 targets in 36 games in all competitions for Tottenham this season (24 targets and 16 assists), basically the most of any player for a Premier League club.
- Tottenham duo Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min have now assisted one one other for 14 Premier League targets this season, breaking Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton’s all-time competitors account of 13 plot in 1994-95 for Blackburn.
- For the reason that Belgian’s first Premier League season (2012-13), only Olivier Giroud (32) has extra headed targets within the competitors than Crystal Palace’s Christian Benteke (29).
Tottenham face Croatian facet Dinamo Zagreb within the first leg of their final-16 tie within the Europa League on Thursday, 11 March (20: 00 GMT). Their subsequent Premier League sport comes when they shuttle to Arsenal for the north London derby on Sunday, 14 March (16: 30 GMT).
Crystal Palace host strugglers West Brom of their subsequent Premier League fixture on Saturday, 13 March (15: 00 GMT).
- 2DohertyBooked at 90minutes
- 6D Sánchez
- 8WinksSubstituted forSissokoat 70′minutes
- 9BaleSubstituted forLamelaat 70′minutes
- 27Lucas Moura
- 7Son Heung-Min
- 10KaneSubstituted forAlves Moraisat 80′minutesBooked at 90minutes
- 45Alves Morais
- 24CahillBooked at 35minutes
- 3van Aanholt
- 10TownsendSubstituted forSchluppat 65′minutes
- 44RiedewaldBooked at 48minutes
- 25EzeSubstituted forZahaat 45′minutes
- 20BentekeSubstituted forMatetaat 74′minutes
- 9J AyewBooked at 29minutes
Match ends, Tottenham Hotspur 4, Crystal Palace 1.
Second Half ends, Tottenham Hotspur 4, Crystal Palace 1.
Carlos Vinícius (Tottenham Hotspur) is shown the yellow card.
Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur) is shown the yellow card for a wrong noxious.
Gruesome by Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur).
Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Carlos Vinícius (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Gruesome by Gary Cahill (Crystal Palace).
Offside, Crystal Palace. Jean-Philippe Mateta tries a through ball, but Wilfried Zaha is caught offside.
Offside, Crystal Palace. Patrick van Aanholt tries a through ball, but Jean-Philippe Mateta is caught offside.
Are attempting overlooked. Jean-Philippe Mateta (Crystal Palace) header from the centre of the box is too high. Assisted by Luka Milivojevic with a depraved following a nook.
Corner, Crystal Palace. Conceded by Toby Alderweireld.
Offside, Crystal Palace. Luka Milivojevic tries a through ball, but Wilfried Zaha is caught offside.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Carlos Vinícius replaces Harry Kane.
VAR Resolution: Scheme Tottenham Hotspur – Tottenham Hotspur 4-1 Crystal Palace (Harry Kane).
Scheme! Tottenham Hotspur 4, Crystal Palace 1. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) header from very shut differ to the centre of the contrivance. Assisted by Son Heung-Min.Scheme confirmed following VAR Assessment.
Are attempting blocked. Erik Lamela (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from the honest facet of the box is blocked. Assisted by Matt Doherty.
Substitution, Crystal Palace. Jean-Philippe Mateta replaces Christian Benteke.
Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Gruesome by Luka Milivojevic (Crystal Palace).